Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 382: Buddhist Meditation

     I've done a couple of challenges related to meditation before. And they're usually some of my favorite ones to do. Just kick back and relax...but don't think about relaxing, or you're no longer relaxing. I decided to further explore the art of Buddhism by listening to a tape on Buddhist meditation. For some background, I watched parts 1 and 2 of a video made by a Buddhist monk explaining what can be learned by meditation. He talked about how meditation can be used to cure the moods and mindsets of the depressed -but more importantly- how it can be used to improve the lives of the fulfilled and content. I liked hearing that, because it implied that there is no finishing when it comes to finding happiness. Not that happiness will forever be out of our reach, rather, deeper and more meaningful versions of happiness can be experienced so long as you are willing to search for it.
     The tape was pleasant, and very calming. I can't really go into detail about what all they talked about in the recording, because, well, I was kind of out of it at the time. Meditation tapes are super weird like that. I'll usually remember the intro and then I lose awareness for a while. Like the recording is gently laying me down into a warm, pool of numbing water. I float along with the rhythmic ripples of the water for a while, just letting my mind wander. Then when the tape is almost over and they're waking me up, it feels like I'm being gently lifted out of the water. Softly and slowly, I regain my awareness.
     Below is part 1 and 2 of the explanation videos I watched.

     I really dig these sort of experiences, and I find myself trying them again and again sometimes. It helps me hold onto something calming when I need it, and I couldn't recommend it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment