Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Day 388: Unicycle

     I've been eyeing this unicycle in the storage closet at my work since my first day on the job. It's the gym teacher's, and nestled between an assortment of basketballs and other random P.E. equipment, hangs a lonely unicycle. I would've tried and failed at this challenge years ago when I first started working at the school, but the single tire has been completely flat since my hire. But today was different. Today I consulted my list of things to try, and -more importantly- brought in my bike pump. After I pumped up the tire and blew the dust off the seat, it was time...
      What I mean when I say "it was time" was that, it was time for me to fail miserably for quite a while. I knew it'd be hard, but come on, this unicycling thing is hard! Ryan and I tried it on and off in the gym but couldn't get the wheel to turn much. A video tutorial helped as it usually does, but this art is the kind that's best perfected by hours and hours of deliberate trial and error. That seems to be the only way around it. We set up mats to crash land on, and hung onto walls, but it's obvious that we still have a way to go (which is ok, because the gym teacher won't be back till the first week of August).
     I still plan on practicing when I can, I know they're goofy, but I want to master this one!



UPDATE: Here's a video taken about a week after this entry was written. Not too shabby in the progress department if I can say so!

No comments:

Post a Comment