Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 167: Donut Peaches

     When I saw the sign in the grocery store that advertised donut peaches two for a dollar, I pondered the idea of such a treat. A snack that was one part pastry and one part peach, brilliant. I entertained both the thought of a donut that was the shape of a peach, and also a peach with a missing hole in the middle. But to my surprise, it turns out that donut peaches are just peaches that look kind of deformed and squished. They do have the basic donut form but their middle is still in tact and hole-free. I was a little disappointed but looked up the specs on the fruit on my phone as my brother and I took turns palming each and every fruit. A website I found ranted about how the donut peaches are far superior then its spherical counterpart. The site told me that these donut peaches taste better because they are sweeter and have an "almond overtone". They are also lower in acid and the pit is easier to remove then original peaches. The site went on to list around 10 reasons why we should seek out the donut shaped ones, but some of the reasons didn't seem to hold their own weight (like how pretty the pink blossoms are). I bought one for me and one for my brother and we both enjoyed eating them like pretentious food critics. I didn't really pick up on the "almond overtones" but I did take note of all the fuzz that covered that bad boy. I felt like I was bitting into a hamster with all that fur, but the overall taste was really sweet and tasty. It was a cheap and delicious snack, and they look totally freaky.
Here's the donut peach loving site that I checked out:http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2006-10-01/Top-10-Reasons-to-Try-a-Donut-Peach.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment