Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 2 Ice Blocking

Today, like yesterday was another last minute, super rushed sort of goal. I'm finding out that the hardest part of this project is simply thinking of semi-decent never-done-before goals to actually attempt. I had my heart set on trying to make a full court basketball shot for a good portion of the day, but some complications (I don't own a basketball) arose. So I ditched that idea and moved on in the brainstorming process. I tried to think of practical experiences that I had yet to experience. I thought about how it had just snowed a couple days ago and how everyone was taking full advantage of the fun activities that winter made readily available. Everyone was out sledding and having snowball fights. And although I have participated in both of those activities on many occasions, it occurred to me that I had not ever went ice blocking. Ice blocking is, in a sense, sledding on a large ice cube. I see people do it all the time in the summertime on the grassy hill behind the skate park. From what I hear, its a lot more fun to do in the summer (I assume that the scorching heat may be why). I didn't Let the arctic air scare me. I strapped on my designated doesn't-matter-if-they-get-ruined clothes and shoes on and drove over to the grocery store to pick up a 10 pound block of ice (conveniently priced at $1.99 with a club card). I met my friend Dillon (I coined his nickname "Mouse") at the top of the hill where I would expect to see fellow ice blockers if it were mid July, not 9:37 P.M. on a frigid January night. To the surprise of both of us we ran into several sledders, a man on a snowboard, and a couple of people with, you guessed it, ice blocks. We took turns trying to make it down the hill with little success. That block of ice seemed enormous while I was inspecting it in the store, but it really gets put into perspective how small it really is when you are trying to balance your entire butt on it while your being catapulted down the slope. Its actually kinda hard. We both got a couple good runs in before throwing in the towel. We were both soaked and shivering when it was over, but I'd call it a success. Ice blocking is fun, and I cant wait to try it in the summer. Day 2, check!

No comments:

Post a Comment