Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 6: Sushi



I'm not a fish person. Some people don't like dogs and some don't like cats, but I, don't like fish... well eating them anyways. Maybe its simply because all the fish that gets flown out here from the worlds oceans losses a considerable amount of freshness by the time it reaches suburbia. Or maybe its just that fish, in general, taste kind of shitty. Whatever it is, its stopped me from eating it for years. I've happily avoided fish and the subcategories of fish like crab, lobster and sushi since I was like 7. So, naturally, I decided that tonight, I would have my first taste of the raw sensation that is, sushi. Everybody I know seems to be very opinionated on the subject. "Oh.My.Gawd" someone will tell me, "You've never had sushi? You need to get some NOW". Or "I'm addicted to it. Like seriously addicted". But sometimes I get opposing testimonies. Like "Ah, its sooo disgusting"
So as you can see, I went to Tokyo Joe's with a wide range of plausible outcomes playing in my head. I went with four rolls of the cheapest sushi they had (you get what you pay for I guess) along with the usual, a teriyaki bowl of chicken. Now, I'm not going to say that it was "bad". I'll put it this way, I don't see myself paying $3.40 for more of those rolls anytime soon. The fishy aftertaste was a bit off putting but the wassabi seemed to counter act it a little. To tell you the truth, I didn't like it, but thats the point. Thats the whole reason for doing this project: to try new things and see if I like them. So now at least I know that sushi isn't my thing (welp, cheap sushi anyway). But don't get the wrong idea, if you know any sushi or sushi related foods that you think I "need to try", let me know. After all, I need as much help coming up with new things to try as I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment