Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 3: Internet Entrepreneuring

I've always been interested in entrepreneuring. Ever since I can remember I have been saving what little money I had, and focusing on how I could make more. Garage sales are where its at if your looking to test the waters of individual sales. I frequently go garage sailing looking for strange oddities and treasures at dirt cheap prices. In fact, I consider myself a "garage saler" (get it? I'm sailing to garage sales. Now thats clever), combing the cul de sacs of suburbia for things that I "have got to have". House-side-sales are wonderful for sharpening your negotiating skills just because of how unsanctioned everything is. That price tag may say $35 for a mildly weathered novelty Simpsons lamp, but if your persistent and willing to haggle a little, that asking price goes out the window. I mean hey, everything that you find at a garage sale has been put in that limbo category, its not quite trash, but not worth keeping. Monetarily speaking I wouldn't spend more than 15 dollars on a single item at a thrift store or garage sale just because of the old one man's trash rule. For instance, Everything in that drive way is there for one reason, they don't want it (or maybe they just didn't have enough space. But even so, they had to choose what possessions stayed and what ones they didn't want enough to keep).Just keep that in mind before you let some grandma rip you off for that vintage golf club.
Because I'm oh so interested on the inner workings of the entrepreneurial world, I decided to make todays "new thing" relate to selling. I chose to start selling random trinkets and novelties that I don't care for on eBay. It was kind of surprising to me when I realized that I had yet to even attempt to sell anything online (even craigslist) considering how much time and effort I spend bargain hunting on the internet. I started off test run sale, just to get the feel for how the selling portion of eBay worked. I posted an old Polaroid camera that I picked up from none other that a garage sale. The bidding has started at a mere $.99. I never used it, wasn't sure if it even worked, and didn't want it in my room which makes it my trash. Hopefully someone will see it as a treasure.
Heres to making a fortune, one misunderstood piece of trash/ treasure at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment