Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 20: Ice Cream Sampler

     So I recently got my job back at Baskin Robbins and, between that job, my other job, and school, I have been trying to juggle paying for student loans and completing this little project of mine. My life is pretty busy, which is good. Busy is gooooood, just, a little overwhelming at times. So I was working (Baskin Robbins), trying to remember exactly how to do my job (it's been roughly a year and a half since I worked there) when a costumer suggested an idea that was all too familiar to my past experience at that shop. An indecisive couple came in and were browsing through the flavors for some time. And then I said something like "would you guys like to sample a flavor?" and the man replied with a comment that I consider a bit cliche. After a good 2 years of service at that humble ice cream shop, I've served a lot of people, and I've scooped a lot of ice cream, and I've had a lot of conversations with the guests (mostly small talk but not limited too) so its hard for me to fake a genuine chuckle of agreement when I hear some wise guy say "what would you do if I asked to sample every flavor". It wasn't even moderately funny the first time. Its just a way for me to uncomfortably nod my head to keep the transaction moving. That line (and others that are quite similar to it) are on my short list of pet peeves for that job. I hate dealing with dill weeds thinking they're clever by stating the obvious (example: if its cold outside/ snowing and people walk in and say "great weather for ice cream eh?"), or kids that are too scared to order their ice cream by themselves (example: kids that look no younger than 13 that whisper their order into the ear of their mother {while standing feet away and holding eye contact with me}and have her tell me, really?), or obviously dealing with morbidly obese sugar raged costumers. But, other than that, my job is a piece of cake (sorry about the cake pun, I don't think its funny ether).

     So anyways (sorry about the tangent), I was working and some guy says that line (you know: "what would you do if I asked to sample every flavor"). And I awkwardly chuckled and he chose his flavor and I rang him up and he left. Well, I decided that the only way to never have to reply to that question with an awkward chuckle was to actually sample every single flavor. And so I did. I got a cup and 48 taster spoons (I know I know, Its Baskin Robbins 31, theres only supposed to be 31 flavors. Welp, Baskin Robbins actually has over a thousand flavors that get circulated and discontinued and we have enough room for 48, so, I tried 48 samples). I tried them one-by-one and dumped them into the designated used spoons cup. I tried to savor and assess/rank each flavor because I had yet to try some of the ice creams. Mainly the unappetizing sounding ones like gingerbread and mustard (if mustard was in fact a real flavor, I guess I would have to try it outta curiosity). But the moral of the challenge is this: its not worth it. There is too much clashing of flavors to really enjoy any of them and you get kind of disgusted with it. My suggestion is to simply sample a flavor (love potion 31, its the best), then continue to sample it. Say that you couldn't get a descriptive taste or that you want a sample with  a caramel chunk. Or just ask, I'll do it. There's how you get free ice cream for life. Your welcome.

Here's the list of every single flavor: Gingerbread, White Chocolate Yogurt, Chocolate Overload, Vanilla Yogurt, Raspberry Chip, Lemon Blueberry, Tropical Ice, Daiquiri Ice, Rock N' Pop Swirl, Rainbow, Bubblegum, Orange, Carmel Turtle, Wild N' Reckless, Aloha Brownie, Peachy Raspberry, Peanut butter & Chocolate, Oreo, Reese's, Snickers, Cookie Dough, Butter Pecan, Gold Medal Ribbon, World Class, Jamoca, Jamoca Almond Fudge, Pistachio, Coconut, Apple Pie, Love potion 31, Chocolate Mousse, Mango, Pralines N' Creme, Vanilla, Strawberry, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Mint Chip, Rocky Road, Cherries, Black Walnut, Quarterback Crunch,Chocolate Escape, Chocolate Almond, Icing on the Cake, Chocolate Fudge, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Red Velvet Cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment