Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 5: Random Road trip

Sweet baby Jesus I'm tired. Today was defiantly a success in terms of takin' names and kickin' ass. I was so busy getting my financial aid and classes figured out that I was afraid that I wouldn't have enough time to complete a 'new thing' for the day (or at least a half-way decent one). It was pretty late by the time I met up with Mouse to brainstorm possible challenges, and that wasn't going smoothly. We drove to the old Westy Mall (a run-down shopping center that has been converted into a rotting carcass in suburbia) to find inspiration. We walked around, talked to a couple of store employees in the middle of their closing routine, but the mall didn't pose many challenge worthy options, so I settled with purchasing a novelty hat. Mouse and I decided to try eating some sushi but the "hours of operation" graphic on the front door of Tokyo Joe's informed us that they had been closed for forty minutes. Things weren't looking good.
I'm not even sure which one of us proposed the idea (but I'll take credit) but we decided to take a mini road trip (It was our only idea left, making it our best). A road trip to Wyoming. I'd say that we were a good 80 miles from Cheyenne, which is long enough for me to feel the need to stop at a gas station to fill up on edible goodies. So we left Thornton with candy bars in each hand and Animal Collective blaring through the speakers. We kept each other amused with stories and jokes. Mouse utilized his talent of holding his breath. He went four miles straight on one mere lung-full of air, and if you don't think thats impressive then I politely suggest that you shut up and try it yourself. I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel after one mile. It wasn't long after that when we crossed the state line and completed the goal. We stopped and took some pictures of the giant WYOMING sign (I touched it), drove to a combination Denny's/gas station/gift shop to pick up a couple souvenirs and use the bathroom, and then I did a tre flip in the parking lot of a closed down McDonald's while in my moccasins. We had seen enough (It was getting late and the wind chill made skating less than enjoyable). So, we headed home. Driving through Fort Collins, we stopped at a gas station so we could pretend that we were from out of state. I told the man that sold me a losing scratch ticket that we were on our way to New Mexico. It was up to his imagination to fill in the blanks as to why we were traveling there. And then I came home. That, for the most part, is just about all of the notable occurrences of the evening; Dillon's oddly large lung capacity, Touching a massive sign that advertised the state we were in (which coincidentally was the same shape as the state as well), pretending to be tourists and having a stock pile of candy. Thats what road trips are about, and I think thats why I enjoyed the night (and the challenge) so much. Road trips are so simple, its just what ever you want to do, wherever you want to do it. I could have everything that I had done in Wyoming, in Colorado (maybe not the whole Wyoming photo shoot part). I would have saved a considerable amount of time and money doing so also, but it wouldn't have been the same. Even though I have done a lot of tre flips in a lot of McDonald's parking lots in my day, I've never done one like that, not in that situation. And thats what makes it notable. Thats what makes the contents of this entire blog entry notable, the fact that it was a spontaneous excursion, or the breath holding competition. Its nothing life changing, but it somehow made the night really god damn fun (even if it does sound pathetic). Random road trip...completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment