Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 32: Be A Vegetarian

     So, right now its -9 degrees outside. That means that its so cold, that even if the temperature magically shot up a hefty 41 degrees, it would still be cold enough to consider getting your tongue stuck to a metal pole a practical risk. Its so cold out that we were given a snow day, not because of the amount of snow that had fallen (about 2 inches), but because of the amount of ice on the roads and the dangerously low temp. My friend had to e-mail his teachers and explain to them that he couldn't get to class because of the inch thick layer of ice that had encased his car. He literally broke his ice scrapper in an attempt to get the ice off. It snapped in half. Its that kind of cold that justs slaps sheets of frozen pain onto your cheeks with every whip of the wind. It penetrates every inch of your lungs with cold, brute hate as you inhale. Its terrible, and I fucking hate winter.
     The whole winter thang had nothing to do with my challenge today, but I just felt like getting that off my chest. So in an effort to distract myself from my own haterid/loathing of winter, I decided to focus on my new thing of the day. I decided to be a vegetarian. Now, I think that its safe to assume that you know the jist of how this project goes. I pick a new thing to do every day, and today, I picked to not eat meat. I know what your thinking, thats way too easy. People go without eating meat all the time, even dinosaurs probably. And thats true, I can even admit to not consuming meat for a 24 hour period at least a couple times in the past(usually when I'm working at my dish washing job, their food just isn't worth it anymore). Thats why this challenge is going to be in effect for the remainder of the week. 7 days of resisting anything from prime rib to road kill. Now that sounds like a challenge worth doing, and don't worry, I'll still be doing new things every day as well as attempting this longer term project. We are witnessing history in the making people. This is the first time since the start of this project that one of the challenges required anything more than a 24 hour attention span. That means that this may be a week long endeavor, but it only counts as one day's challenge. I made it through today pretty well. I just had some cereal, potatoes and a bean and cheese burrito. Lets hope that the next 6 days go as smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment