Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 55: Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone (Chipotle)

My dad ordering some foooooooood
     Anybody who knows me knows that I mean business when it comes to food. I don't like to mess around when its meal time. I know exactly what I am going to get when I'm waiting in line at Subway, and I know that if you don't clearly specify that its a "chicken-queso-burrito" at Qdoba, they probably won't bother with the queso. I know these things because I have constantly been refining my ordering process since I started going to these eateries. I find out what I like, what I don't and what phrasing I have to use to ensure I get my damn queso. I do this with about every place I go, that is, except Chipotle. I have gotten the same order from chipotle (word for word, ingredient for ingredient) since always. Well, I mean, I guess there was that one time that I only felt like getting chips and guacamole, but other than that, I've got a clean slate. I remember the first time I went to a Chipotle; my mom took me their and she ordered for me cause I wasn't old enough to distinguish what tasted good and what didn't I guess. We took our burritos back to her work and ate them. The burrito (filled with chicken, black beans, rice, mild salsa, cheese, guacamole and lettuce) was massive, and tasty, and very verrrrrrryyyyyy filling. I like the burrito a lot. I liked it enough to get it every time I returned.
Boldly tasting what no Kyle has tasted before.
Sean eating his creation
     And that brings us up to present day, where I was waiting in line at Chipotle with my dad and brother. I was telling my dad that I had yet to complete my new thing for the day. I suggested that straying away from my usual burrito order could pass as a (lame but countable) goal. My dad agreed and added that if I let my brother order for me, then it wouldn't be as lame. So, I let Sean (my brother) order my dinner for me. I gave all of my trust and taste buds to him. I didn't know if would do a good job ordering, all I know is that he knows that I hate sour cream. I don't remember exactly how the order went, but I think it went a little like this; Burrito salad with barbacoa, black beans, rice, hot sauce, cheese and sour cream (the bold is to show all the differentials between my usual and this order). I wasn't too siked when I heard him order the sour cream but I knew that I had to eat it either way. I coated the top of my salad with tabasco and dug in. It really wasn't that bad at all, it just wasn't my burrito. It wasn't my trusty ol' meal. I didn't care too much for the sour cream and the hot sauce wasn't that great but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a good meal, but I think that I probably will rely on my usual order for next time.


     I find it funny that I'm completed a challenge at this particular Chipotle cause this is where the a lot of the brainstorming of the project took place. It was a couple days before I decided to make this a year long project. My sister and I were eating burritos here and I was complaining about how I want to experience everything that the world has to offer and what not. Thats about when I decided to start doing new things everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment