Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 35: Vegan Pizza

     The weather outside today were perfect condition for laundry, homework and watching Lost on netflix. In fact, thats basically all I did today. I wrote two and a half essays, washed and folded one load of laundry and watched roughly 5 episodes of Lost (they leave you with such suspenseful cliffhangers so you are forced to watch another episode). I may have been pretty lazy today, but that doesn't mean that there wasn't new things to be had. So, I'm like on day 4 of the vegetarian challenge and I realized that I had only been taking note of the crappy parts of being a vegetarian (like, you know...not eating meat). I was settling for crappy grilled cheese sammiches and tomato soup to calm my needy tummy. I wasn't really enjoying the experience, which was not cool with me. I should be siked that I'm trying new things like the veggie lifestyle. I shouldn't be punishing my stomach by only consuming cheese and bread because its the only thing I could make that was meat-free. Thats why today, with my friend Mouse, I made my first vegetarian meal. Vegetarian pizza, its a new thing for today and it counts towards that veggie challenge, now thats a 2 bird, one stone scenario.
     Mouse and I went to the Sunflower Market to pick out some tasty meat free foods. As it turns out, eating healthy may pay off health wise in the long run, but it rips you off financially right now. Everything in there was a pretty penny. We made it out of the store with minimal damage to the wallet. We got some stuff called tofurkey (which sounds like next big curse word), a build your own pizza starter kit (that promised 3 packets of pizza sauce inside but only held 2, rip off!) and a 6 pack of organic orange cream soda (Mouses idea). The rest of the story is pretty straight forward; we cooked the pies and the tofurkey with some cheese. Once the pizzas were done, I layered mine with ranch dressing and Frank's Red Hot. The lunch was pretty alright, I wouldn't compare it to the pizza that I almost couldn't resist from last night, but it did the job. Tofurkey is basically tofu that has been molded into the shape of a hot dog that has a hint of sausage aftertaste. I wouldn't recommend hosting a tofurkey BBQ, but I would defiantly check into them if I was considering going veggie for a more long term plan. It was that simple, I was tired of eating crappy meatless food, so I made a mediocre meatless pizza. Great success!

No comments:

Post a Comment