Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 231: Doughnut



I need to stay out of the kitchen
     So far, I have cooked up treats along the lines of burritos, salsa dip, bread and cookies for the project. I felt like it was about time I got my hands dirty making some doughnuts (or as it unfortunately turned out, one giant doughnut). I've been getting better at cooking and I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't getting a little bit of confidence as well. Doughnuts sounded both delicious and like it was within my cooking capabilities. So I did what I always do, I looked up a video on YouTube, jotted down some notes, and simply went for it. I had all the ingredients and combined them to produce a batter that was very hopeful tasting. Everything was going well, which is why I was so surprised when everything went to shit so quickly. I tried placing individual rings of batter on the cooking pan to bake, but the batter refused to work with me. It was all sticky and messy. That's when and why I decided to just make one giant doughnut that covered the entirety of the pan. It happened to be my sister's (Sarah) birthday and so my brother and I dug up a makeshift birthday candle and donated the doughnut to the cause. We took the over-sized pastry out of the oven, jabbed the candle in it, and sang 'happy birthday' to Sarah. It was shortly after the first bite that each of us realized "This doughnut sucks". It was terrible, like God awful stuff. Nobody finished their piece (could ya blame um?) and my cooking confidence was shot down to next to nothing once again. Jeez.


No comments:

Post a Comment