Sunday, September 18, 2011

Day 246: Lumberjack

Before
     I was spending the weekend up at my grandparent's mountain cabin. If there's a place to go to try new things, it's there. We needed firewood and my Grandfather, being the mountain man that he is, took me with him to go lumberjacking. We equipped ourselves with boots helmets and chainsaws and proceeded to find a tree worthy of getting chopped. What we found was a massive guy that must have been dead for months. The bark was dry and chipped off easily from the infestation of beetles. We oiled up the chain of the saw as my Grandfather gave me a short briefing about what was about to go down. He told me that I would be carving a slight wedge about halfway into one side the truck. Then I'd cut from the other side till the two lacerations met in the middle. Grandpa secured the top of the tree with a long rope that he harnessed around himself at the other end. He was pulling on it in hopes that the tension would make sure that the tree would fall in the direction that would cause the least amount of damage. I carved through the decaying bark as my Grandpa pulled. Wood shavings were flying everywhere, but the tree fell without a hitch, From there, we chopped off the branches and sectioned the trunk into manageable pieces. We wasted no time lighting all of that wood that night and having one hell of a campfire.

After
Also: Earlier that day, my mom, brother, grandfather and I were hiking about when we discovered a couple little shrimp looking things swimming in a small puddle. I've never seen anything like it and so I'm claiming credit for the discovery of this potentially new species. They were so weird looking!
Freaky lookin

No comments:

Post a Comment