Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 146: Blood Sugar Test

     There was a sign by the entrance of the grocery store that advertised a free blood sugar test in the pharmacy inside. I instantly knew that I had my challenge for the day and so Cody and I entered to investigate. We found the pharmacy where we met a lanky nurse practitioner named John that sat with his legs rested on the small counter. I told him what my business was and he gave me the run down about how he was going to prick my finger and let me know what my blood sugar was. We stepped into a room that had most of the fixings of a familiar doctor office. It had the elevated bed with cookie sheet stretched across it, and it even had the jar of cotton balls. John wiped my finger with a swab and then pricked it with a gadget of some sort and announced some great news, "Kyle, you do not have diabetes".  I scored a 76. Needless to say, I was relieved. Its always a good feeling to continue to know that you don't have diabetes. I asked him if its common for someone to have diabetes and not realize it. He said that people are often in denial about having it, he says that subconsciously they know, but they might not want to admit it. From there, John offered me a band aid and briefed me about the process my body goes through when it uses sugar and insulin. John was a cool guy, he was super goofy and a little out there, but that just added to his cool. I'm glad I got to talk to him and got the chance to have him make me bleed.

No comments:

Post a Comment