Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 147: Roy Hobbs

     My brother and I went to play some baseball. Well, by baseball I mean that he and I took turns batting while the other retrieved the ball. Neither of us are really into baseball so we had to make due out of what we had. As it turns out, we had an aluminum bat, an old ball and even a glove. We had everything we needed to have a good ol' fashioned American time. We were wacking the ball about for a while when I noticed that the ball was starting to deform. I don't know if it was my amazing strength or because the ball had been deserted in the backyard for years, but the structural integrity of the ball seemed to be ripping. From there my soul purpose was to completely obliterate the ball. I would wind up extra far and swing for the stars, each time hoping to see the guts of the baseball splatter across the open field. I wanted to pull what is referred to as a "Roy Hobbs", I guess its when you bust open a ball cause you wacked it so damn hard. Its from a movie called The Natural. Sean and I kept torturing the ball time and time again. The stitching would bust open a little more each time I would hit it, exposing it's stringy insides. A couple hits later I saw a chunk of it's innards flop out mid-flight. I went to inspect it in closer detail, and to my amazement, I had done it. I had knocked the skin off of the ball. There was still chunks of baseball clinging to the leather, but that totally counts in my book. I even kept the skin to remind myself of how much of a badass I am (or wish I am).

No comments:

Post a Comment