Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 61: Play Racquetball


     First off, I just gotta say that I felt like an idiot when I found out that the sport isn't spelled "racketball". In fact, I didn't know anything about the sport. All I knew was that you hit the crap outta a ball in a giant room... and thats basically what I did. Joey and I went to the recenter after taking the midterm in our sociology class. We were there to shoot some hoops before jazz class. The lady at the front desk said that the one day pass would allow us to use any of the facilities in the building, including the racquetball court and saunas. Its safe to say that I was considerable more excited to test out the saunas than play basketball, but because I didn't have any shorts (I was fully prepared to go in there naked if it really called for it), racquetball would have to do. So I rented the rackets and the ball, and I opened the door with the sign that read "Court 3". It was an enormous white walled room with hard wood floors. Blue lines on the ground specified the different territories of the fields. I want to make it perfectly clear that I did not learn how to actually play the game. I just went in there and wacked the shit out of the ball for a while. Although that proved to be far more entertaining than I anticipated, I figured that the challenge would be totally lame if I didn't at least try to play the game. Thats when I got Joey and told him that we were going to play, and that we were going to use table tennis rules. It turns out that smacking the ball with all your might is just too tempting, so that whole Godzilla scale ping pong match didn't last very long. So I didn't learn much of anything other than that those balls hurt like hell when your leg gets welted by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment