Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 72: Drink Coconut Milk

good stuff
manikin butts
     Early on in the project I said that watching a lacrosse game was probably the most entertainment you could buy with five bucks. I still think that its true, but I also think that the flea market is about as eventful, but for two dollars less. I went to the mile high flea market to do some serious people watching and bargain hunting. For those of you that have never experienced the greatness that is a flea market, let me explain. Its basically a chaotic shit-show littered with complete garbage. Well, thats what most people see in a flea market. I, on the other hand, see grade-A entertainment at an affordable cost. For three bucks you can spend the afternoon strolling through the isles where you are consumed in the banter of amateur salesmen. You are submersed in a sea of potential treasures (but lets be honest, most of it is crap). And the people, oh man the people, thats what makes the three dollars worth every penny. Whether it be chit chatting with some woman that was trying to slang some African Shea Butter (She said that the nut that the butter comes from can weigh more than 75 pounds and takes 400 years to grow), or the guy that was trying to sell a mounted deer head that had not been cleaned in any sort of way (It looked like someone fastened the skull of some poor road kill animal onto a piece of scrap wood with an old belt. The head was still covered in fur and its jaw was contorted at a considerably uncomfortable angle). The eyes looked like they had been replaced with moldy marbles. Or more likely, those were it's original eyes that had been decomposing in it's sockets for who knows how long. It was disgusting, but someone was probably going to buy it. So the flea market is an interesting place with an interesting atmosphere and interesting people selling interesting things.
Butter saleslady 
     I found myself in the middle of a transaction at a food market stand when I saw a girl walking and holding a coconut with a straw in it. I decided

that I
needed it. I asked the lady that I was buying the apple from if I could add a coconut to my tab and she said yes. I didn't know if me asking her if she could drill a hole in it so I could drink out of it was a stupid question, so I asked timidly. She said yes again and handed me a coconut with a fresh puncture hole. I stuck a straw in it and had no idea what to expect cause I've never had coconut milk before. My conclusion: its damn tasty. Like a tropical twist on milk. Finally, a food challenge that ends well. No stomach aches or violent diarrhea. It was just me, calmly drinking some tropi-milk (ya like that nick name?) out of a coconut. I ended up spending $5.25 total for the day and I'd say it was comparable to the lacrosse game as far as entertainment goes.
Evil road kill head

No comments:

Post a Comment