Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 63: Attend A Jazz Gig

     The jazz class that I'm taking me requires me to attend a live jazz performance so we will be better prepared for our final papers. I had never been to a jazz show before. In fact, this was only my second concert ever. I feel lame saying that but its true, I haven't gotten to go to many concerts yet. I was excited to check things out, but I was also siked cause my jazz teacher is the bassist for the band that was playing and I thought that if he saw me attend his show, I would score some brownie points. So, I met up with Mouse and headed over to The D Note. We showed up about half an hour late (which will probably deduct from my brownie point pile) and took a seat. The D Note is a cool little (really little) venue in the old part of Arvada. The atmosphere was hip and trendy, the chairs were uncomfortable, and the bathroom stalls were coated in toilet poetry. I read other bathroom goers rants and blurbs about the trials and tribulations of humanity as I peed, it was a great time. As for the jazz part of the night, it was pretty alright. I'm not the biggest fan of jazz music but that didn't stop me from enjoying the set. The trumpeter would blow away while the bassist and drummer would back him up. Then the bassist would take a solo, then the drummer would follow. Even after half a semester of jazz study, I still feel lost in the jazz world. I try to make sure to clap at the appropriate times and I make sure to keep an introspective kind of look on my face so everyone else thinks I am attentively experiencing the art. I even refer to the performance as a "gig" rather than to a "show" to sound more musically cultured. I do all these things, but I'm still totally lost the entire time the band is playing. I guess thats how I feel in class anyways. Whatever, I had a good time and wouldn't mind going back there sometime to see another gig.

No comments:

Post a Comment