Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 89: Start A Fire! (From Scratch)


     Yup, I made fire, but not just any fire. I made fire without using matches or a lighter. I didn't do that two-stick-rubbing-thing either. I used this thing called a magnesium fire starter that is sold at most any out-doorsy kind of store. Its this chunk of metal thats about the size and shape of a lighter. Its silver except for one side, where it is black. Mouse had read the instructions before I threw the packaging away, so he reminded me that I was supposed to chop off little a bunch of  the silver pieces and then use a knife to strike down on the black side. I guess that the silver side was the flammable stuff, and the black side was the thing that created the spark. Flammable things + sparks = hot fiery things, simple. Needless to say, it was not simple at all. We tried starting a small fire in a couple places but the wind proved to be a pain in the butt. We took shelter under a gazebo at in a park but a cop car came and scared us off (I guess we did look a little sketchy, starting fires and all). We found our way to my house were I came up with the idea of shaving the silver scraps into the pouch of a paper hat. The hat acted like a pocket, holding the extremely flammable powder. Then I stoked the spark spitting side of the starter, hoping for some flames. We were both losing hope, but then I gave one last wack at the spark. One giant spark flew towards the bottom of the paper pouch, instantly igniting the entire hat. We both screamed in excitement (and because we were holding a fireball in the middle of the kitchen of my house. We ran the hat to the fire pit in my back yard and carefully placed it in. It took some tending to, but eventually, we had ourselves a roaring fire. I was ecstatic about the whole thing, and to celebrate, I decided to roast some salami over our fire. Mouse (being a vegetarian) roasted a slice of cheddar cheese. Eventually, I busted out a can of raviolis and started to warm them up one by one. It was a good time, it was a real good time indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment