Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 70: Pho Big-Bowl-Challenge

Add caption
nom nom nom
     For those of you that don't know what pho is, its a delicious Vietnamese soup sold in strip malls across the country. Its hot water with some veggies and noodles and the meat of your choosing. I went to get some pho with my mom and decided that it was time for me to attempt the big bowl challenge. The challenge originated from the first time I went to pho and humiliatingly couldn't even get close to finishing my bowl (the sad part was that it was a small). I went back to that pho to redeem myself and I finished a medium sized bowl in the process. Now it was time to take it to the big leagues. Basically, I needed to finish a the largest sized bowl of pho (broth and all) to prove to myself how awesome I was. I ordered the steak and flank bowl and went to town on it instantly. It was way too hot so I burnt the roof of my mouth within the first bites. The fact that I am too white to use chopsticks but also too stubborn to ask for a spoon made me even more of a slow eater. I worked my way around floating flank and broth soaked noodles to victory. I took full advantage of the variety of flavor enhancers that the restaurant provided and found that pho was tastier than I had remembered. My mom had finished most of her (small) bowl and I kept slurping along. She watched in disgust as I lifted the bowl up and tilted back towards the back of my throat. As I chugged gargantuan amounts of liquid out of a basket ball sized bowl, I couldn't help but think of day 56: gallon challenge. My stomach was getting that same "what the hell are you doing to me" sort of vibe. I had to keep going. I can't keep failing these stupid food challenges. So I manned up and chugged for a good while. Slowly but surely, I took down the last of the soup and was impressed and embarrassed about my ability to eat way too much. Needless to say, jumping was not an option for the next hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment