Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 69: Break The Thornton Speed Record (Bike)

     Let me start this blog off by stating that I failed this challenge. Don't go on reading and thinking that I did something cool today. I just want to soften the blow and let you all know that I tried, and I failed. But thats O.K. thats what this project is about. Its about trying, not necessarily succeeding. I wanted to break my old speed record on my bike. My record is 32 miles an hour, or so says the light up speed control sign that you see in neighborhoods. I've wanting to beat that record for a while but I have yet to do so. So, after work last night, I rode my bike to death hill (I just made that name up) with Jared. He rode his old Target issued moutain bike with rusty shocks and I took the stealthy Shwinn intersection. We took turns trying to beat the the record. My highest speed was 29 miles an hour and Jared's was 24. I was hallin' balls and breaking a sweat but I was still a solid 4 miles short of my goal. I saw a car speed through the street and the sign registered a "Slow Down" message instead of the actual speed of the car. Thats when I figured that this particular sign only went up to 29 miles before telling you that your speed is just reckless. That was a bit of a set back. Finding out that the sweat I just broke was for nothing is never fun. So I failed the challenge, but it wasn't all that bad. I got to ride my bike, and I'm getting in the riding condition for summer. And you know what summer means, a whole mess of bike ridding challenges. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment