Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 100: Try Dragon Fruit


     Aw yeah! I made it to the triple digits for my project. I spent most of day 100 driving back from my sisters concert in Kansas so I didn't have too much time or energy to spend on the project. And thats a shame cause I was really wanting to go all out for day 100. My original plan was to bike to the Pacific Ocean Market (an Asian grocery gem. Its got everything you would never  think of wanting to eat. From tongue to fish heads, they got it all. I wanted to try jelly fish for my challenge, but it turns out that jelly fish cooking is a three hour ordeal, and like I said, I didn't have the time or energy. It required you to submerse the jelly fish in a pot of hot water for three hours, making sure to change out the water every 30 minutes. I wandered through the isles of the exotic store, looking for something that would fit better in my time frame. What I found was a friend refereed to as a Pokemon. It was called a dragon fruit and it really did look like a Pokemon, it was pink and green, and had abstract leafs extending from the body. It was pretty freaky looking so buying it became a no-brainer. Mac and I rode to his house to partake in some Dragon fruit eatery. We researched the process and found out that eating any part of the exterior would be very bad. We cut the fruit in half and found the edible meat. the insides were a grayish silver substance with tiny black seeds. We went to town spooning out heaps of the fruit but it was soon clear that the fruit didn't have much of a taste. Its not like it was bad, it just wasn't much of anything. It had the texture of a kiwi, but barely tasted like anything at all. I didn't finish my fruit cause I didn't feel like getting full off of a tasteless meal, but it was alright. Definitely not worth the price though, it was like 4 bucks a pop for one of those suckers.

1 comment: