Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 97: Learn How To Make Nachos

     Fun day today. I was out and about all day long. I started my festivities off by picking up my brother after a bomb threat closed his school down. We spent an hour or so savagely demolishing an abandoned bicycle (it was a crappy little kid bike, what else were we supposed to do). Then we went biking and skating around. Mouse and Kevin came over and we worked on the moped and then biked to subway for some nom noms. Well, Mouse was working on the moped, I was trying to show off my new found ability to wheelie (Day 79: http://aimforeclouds.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-79-wheelie.html).


When we were leaving the sandwich shop, I saw a dog starring at me from the far side of the parking lot. He looked a bit freaked out and then he turned and ran into the middle of the street. He was seriously within feet of getting struck by several huge cars, and every time a vehicle barely skimmed past him, I would spit my breath out. He somehow managed to safely reach the other side of the street and began to wonder around. Without thinking, I biked as fast as I could across the street (with about as much caution as the dog) after him. Mouse and Kevin stayed behind as I chased after the lucky pup. I steered him into the corner in the back of a Kohl's department store and realized that I had know idea what I was doing. The dog was big, not huge, just big enough for me to rule out the possibility that he was totally harmless. He looked dirty, and he didn't have any tags on his mangled collar. He was drooling at the mouth and barking profusely towards me. I remember trying to look as big and tall as possible by perching on my bike. He just kept barking and waging his tale. He didn't sound aggressive when he barked, he kind of just seemed excited. It was like he assumed that he was supposed to be threatened by me, but he wasn't. A Kohl's employee walked out of the back entrance and saw me and the dog. I explained the situation and he called the animal control. Whenever he got close to the dog, he would violently bark at the man, which I thought was weird. Kevin met me there and we stood guard and made sure no dogs got in or out of the area. Eventually a woman walked out accompanied by the unlikeable man. The dog seemed to love her, and then they took the puppy away. That wasn't my new thing for the day, I just felt good about it and felt the need to tell everyone that I may or may not have saved that dog's life. He would either have been struck by a car or euthanized by a veterinarian (I really hope not).

We finished off the night with some nacho making at Mac's house. I've never made nachos. Well, one time I microwaved cheese and then laid it on top of some chips, but that doesn't count. These nachos wern't messing around. I had green peppers, green chili, salsa (Day 90 http://aimforeclouds.blogspot.com/2011/04/day-90-salsa.html), guacamole (Day 59 http://aimforeclouds.blogspot.com/2011/03/day-59-guacamole.html), onions, cheese, beans and tortilla chips. I cooked the whole thang in an oven for authenticity and texture, then layered some guac and salsa on top for looks. It wasn't very hard at all. All I had to do was chop up all the ingredients and throw them on top of the chips, then cook till the cheese melted and began to act like the glue, holding all of the tasty globs together. It was delicious and cheap. I think that I'll totally be making more of this dish in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment