Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 98: Visit The Dala Horses





Ice cream at the oasis 
     Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. I've been too busy to get the blog up to date for that past couple days. I was super busy cause on Friday (Day 98), I drove out to Kansas with my dad and dog (Kota) to see my sister. She is a percussion major and we were out to see her junior recital. She goes to a tiny school in Lindsborg, which is known for its one stop light and Swedish dala horses littered throughout the town. My dad and I spent most of the day driving through the dusty plains of Kansas, so there wasn't much for me to do for my challenge. We drove and drove and drove and drove and then got some gas and ice cream, then we drove and drove and drove and drove, and then we saw some Jesus preaching propaganda billboards, then we drove and drove and drove and then I saw some windmill turbines, then we drove a little bit more. The three of us eventually reached the limits of Lindsborg at around 4:30 P.M.



From there, we did the normal routine; said hi to my sister (Sarah), ate some Pizza Hut, and watched some comedy central. It was a good ol' time with the family.

We got to taking Kota for a walk through town and Sarah showed us the sights (well, she showed us the stop light and some of the dala horses). They are really cool mini wooden horses that are all hand painted. I assume that they are painted by various artists from around the area. You can find them scattered about the area with little plaques that describe what the piece represents. I was told that sitting on these horses is strictly forbidden and I would be locked up and the key would be thrown away if I did so. Although I doubt the Lindsborg police would really take such harsh action, I heeded my moms warning and kept clear from the horses. That was until, Sarah took us to the big dala. It was another colorfully painted horse, but it was 4 times as big. Apparently sitting is permitted on the big dala but none of the small ones. It was clear what I had to do. I straddled the dala and snapped a quick shot. Thats about all that happened. Drove for 6.5 hours, ate some pizza, saw the sights of Lindsborg, and sat on a giant flamboyant horse. If thats not vacation, I don't know what is.
awww

No comments:

Post a Comment