Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 110: Plasma Grapes


     Legend has it, that an ordinary grape, a glass cup and a microwave are all the tools you need to create a plasma light show. Its true! Apparently if you cut a grape almost in half (cut it open as if it were a book, but make sure that the skin of the grape is still in tact) and place it in a microwave oven with a glass cup over it, it will begin to spark and fret about. I don't really know why it does this, I just know enough to be able to torture a couple of grapes at work today. I guess its sort of an experiment that unsupervised people like myself when we have nothing but grapes and a microwave. While I was researching this little trick I found an article that explained the phenomenon. They said that the sliced grape has a high amount of electro-lights and somehow those help create the sparks that actually act like a little antenna; conducting the energy of the microwave. To tell you the truth, I haven't the slightest idea whether or not this explanation holds any water, but I'll go along with it. I did as the video told me, and I got a couple of good sparks from a couple of very unlucky grapes. The grapes were totally fried after the experiment and the glass was filled with a smelly gas. The smell stunk up the entire store, but that didn't stop me from continuing to electrocute more helpless fruit. I guess I can count this a nerdy lesson, which is fine with me cause I was totally geeking out about this nifty trick.

Heres a little video explanation thang:

No comments:

Post a Comment