Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 112: Offset My Carbon Footprint

     I figured that today was Earth day. I was hearing about Earth day festivities everywhere from Facebook posts to DJ's. And so, being the Earth-conscious individual that I am, I decided to dedicate todays challenge to mother nature and her awesome world. I wanted to offset my carbon footprint to help try and reverse that whole polluted planet problem. This is another challenge that is directly inspired by the great Vlogbrothers; where they calculate the amount of carbon has been created due to the amount of energy it takes for people to watch their videos
Good luck understanding anything he's talking about if you've never seen a Vlogbrothers video.

. I felt like offsetting my carbon footprint was a fitting challenge for today, so I went to http://www.carbonfund.org/ to fill out my assessment. I completed the questionnaire and found out that I would have to reach a little deeper into my pocket to cover my damage. Apparently, the average cost to offset the average persons carbon is around $240. That was a little too pricey for my liking. I know it may make me a bad person, but I couldn't seem to part with that kind of cash. I mean, I like the Earth and all, but I like money too. So instead of spending close to an entire paycheck on a noble cause, I decided to simply make a donation towards their project. I spared what I could, $15, and gave them that, hoping they would put it to good use. I know its not enough, but until I make enough (we're talking more than 8 bucks an hour), this will have to do. Happy Earth day!

No comments:

Post a Comment