Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 99: Make Jello Shots




     If your all caught up with your Kyle's-super-amazing-happy-fun-time-blog, you know that on day 98, I was in Kansas visiting my sister. And if your all caught up with your Kansas-land knowledge, you know that there isn't much to do there. Its a sleepy little town in the middle of nowhere. There is a subway, a pizza hut, and liquor store to help reference you through town. But other than that, its just you and the dala horses. Don't get me wrong, I was totally happy to be there, any excuse to miss work and forget about school is worth any 6 hour drive (oh yeah, and that whole seeing the sister thing was pretty cool too. I wub you Sawah). So anyways, It was decided that I would help my sister set up for her recital. I would be a roadie, hauling around loud/expensive equipment. I jumped at the position and so we went down to the building where the stage was and got the low-down about what was going down. She was tell my dad and me about the various instruments that she would be playing that night. The snare drum, timpany, drum set, a multi-set thing, and something that looked a lot like a xylophone but wasn't. I helped load the drums onto the stage and place them in the general area in which they would be played. It was cool to be on that giant stage, with its creaky wooden floor and rustic looking organ.
Look at this crazy thang
We eventually got everything in its place and Sarah gave us a taste of what she would be playing. It was some pretty amazing stuff (no sugar-coating here). I always knew that she was good, but I never thought that she was that good. I was blown away as soon as she began playing, and it was ten times as impressive later that night during her recital. She recited a 6 page piece on the xylophone thing from memory...in front of an audience... and it sounded good...real good. If thats not impressive then I don't know what is. The recital was a great success (other than my brother dropping his camera from the 30 foot balcony during the performance). Food, music, family: it was a good time. I fulfilled my duties as the roadie by unloading the stage and placing everything back where it came from.

From there we had some dinner at the Stuga (the famous little bar in town where I got my ass handed to me by my brother in a game of pool) and then went back to Sarah's house. Some of her friends showed up and brought a box of Jello shots. They were passing them around and my dad ended up offering me one. It was a little weird, but I'm not about to say no to Jello, so I took it. I learned that its important to lick your finger and swirl it around the sides of the cup before slurping the shot or else it will get stuck. For the most part, it just tasted like Jello, so it didn't make for the most interesting material, but its something. I ate/drank the shot and relaxed/talked to this dude about skateboarding. It was a fun time. So, in recap, I was a roadie for the day, and I tried a Jello shot, not too shabby.

Heres a link to a clip of her: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1900317197155&comments

No comments:

Post a Comment