Saturday, December 17, 2011

Day 342: Complete A 1000 Piece Puzzle

Probably my most hated, yet most addictive challenge yet
     Not just any puzzle, we're talking about a 1,000 piece puzzle here. Kalin and I bought it and took it over to the local ihop for a leisurely puzzle-party. We dumped the pieces over our table and wasted no time in flipping up all the upside-down pieces. Things looked good at first, it seemed like I had found a challenge that was cheap and pain-free, and I was enjoying a generous stack of french toast while I did it, what could go wrong?  And to be honest, things were good...for the first 4 hours. See, I guess I overestimated my puzzling abilities. I thought that this was going to be a piece of cake (or french toast, whatever you like), but it turns out that that was far from true. A thousand pieces is quite a lot once you think about it, and they've all got to fit in their perfectly custom little spots. And it didn't help that the landscape in the puzzle was that of a deep blue tropical ocean filled with turtles and baby blue, that's wayyyyy too much blue for me. But whatever, a challenge is a challenge right? So we kept at it and made some (heavy emphasis on "some") progress. I fandangled (more new words!) with the sailboat as Kalin pieced the boarder together.
     But 4 hours slowly turned into 5 hours and all we had to show for it were a couple of sore backs, two tummy's full of cheap coffee, and a sad excuse for a turtle puzzle. I had to call Mouse to help us out. Even though it was almost 2 in the morning and we had maybe 10% of the puzzle complete, he just seems like he'd be good at puzzles. Eventually he arrived and it seemed like we were going to catch our second wind (but it turned out to just be gas from all that coffee). For a good while, we were the only one's in there. The waitress would come around every so often to refill our coffee and talk about turtles with us. We were there for so long that we started to drift into that weird state of mind where everything becomes hysterical because you're so tired. Sooner or later, we were going to have to throw in the towel, we just decided that the five and a half hour mark was as good a time as any. It was really a really disappointing feeling when we wrecked our progress by scooping all the pieces back into the the box so we could go, but we had to leave sometime. We were all too slap happy to function normally, so it was time to end it. But it's not all over, I have decided to restart the challenge on the hardwood floors of my bedroom. This time, it's not for the project. No, this time, it's personal. I'm going to complete this stupid turtle puzzle if it's the death of me.



No comments:

Post a Comment