Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day 349: Skin Absorption Test


     For reasons I'm not sure of, I was watching a infomercial for a product called Shower Shock on YouTube. It was a bar of soap that was infused with caffeine, so you could take a shower and get your daily java-fix at the same time. The caffeine would be absorbed through your skin as you bathed, then it you make it's way into your bloodstream and to the rest of your body. Apparently the stuff really works (although not all that well. Skeptics claim that it would take a full two hours of soap lathering to get the same amount of caffeine from the two cups of Joe that the product promises). In the end, I figured that the soap was a waste of money. But fortunately, I learned that the human skin is all spongy and stuff, which got me thinking, "What else can my skin absorb?". What I found was a bottle of Superfruit vitamins. All I wanted to do, was to see if my skin could successfully absorb the contents of the capsule. So I crushed the pill, then I spread it out evenly across my arm, and secured the vitamin down with a generous amount of scotch tape. Then I just let the crushed remains lay on my arm for about an hour or so. Once it was time to take the tape off, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my skin was free from vitamin crumbs. The whole area on my arm was clear in fact. So I guess that's one way to take a pill, it takes over an hour, but at least you don't have to deal with that plastic pill taste in your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment