Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 334: Carve A Wooden Sculpture



     To try and take my mind off the poopiness that is winter in Colorado, I rummaged through the garbage in my basement to see what I could find. What I found was an old 2X4. I was checkin' it out when I remembered that Mouse had left his jigsaw in my room from when we were building those cigar box guitars (which I've finished! Here's a picture of the first one).
   
















It was obvious what my evening had in store; I was going to get into the wood carving game. I had never used a jigsaw before, but that wasn't going to stop me (or get me to read the instructions for that matter). I wanted to sculpt a perfect sphere, but after a few minutes of blind carving, it was apparent that that wasn't going to happen. My "sphere looked more like a whale head than anything, so I shifted gears and started sculpting my whale.

     When I started, I was aiming for a very rough rendition of a whale. I wanted anything that even remotely resembled a whale (like a swollen cow or something). When I was done cutting, I liked it enough to paint it. I even cut out a wooden chunk that would be the discharge from his blowhole (it sounds worse than it really is). So what began as a spur of the moment craft idea turned into something much more involved. Fun times indeed!
Aint he cute?

No comments:

Post a Comment