Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 325: Build A Cigar Box Guitar

Ready to do some damage
This is the one I saw at the cigar shop
     These things are so awesome! I was introduced to the greatness that is the cigar box guitar today and I haven't been able to get them out of my head. I have to build one. A cigar box guitar is exactly what it sounds like (well, it sounds like a guitar...not a cigar box). It's a cigar box that has been turned into a working instrument. I use the word "working" loosely because-after hearing some of the guitars being playing online-I now know that the cigar box guitar is more of a novelty then something that is meant to make platinum records. But I must say, some of those dudes really knew how to melt some faces with those things.

     So I called Mouse up and told him about the instrument and how I'd die if I didn't have one, he bit. We met up at the Home Depot where I gathered most of the supplies, then headed over to my house to start the building process. I won't go into detail about the building process, that's what this guy's video is for. Watch it if you too would like to be the proud owner of a cigar box guitar.
     So, Mouse and I didn't get to finish the guitar in one day, but it's coming along nicely. I decided to make two of these bad boys. The first one (the one I'm working on right now) is going to be acoustic. It's like the rough draft, I'm using the cheapest materials available and I'm looking for functionality only. If everything goes well with this first guitar, then I'm going to up the stakes for the second one. The next one will be electric, it will be made from some higher quality crap and I will learn how to shred it like no other (hopefully).
Work in progress 

No comments:

Post a Comment