Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 284: Create A Craft

     So I'm starting to get into the swing of things at this new job of mine (basically, I work as a hang out buddy at an elementary school). As a staff member, I am responsible for planning the activities we will be doing for a week at a time. So each week is someone's week to plan, and this week is mine. So when I was planning, I threw in the basics; recess, gym, homework, you know the same ol. But then I was told that we need to have at least one edible craft that the kids can make and eat. I surfed the internet for a bit for a tasty craft but was uninspired  so I decided that I'd make my own. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but the idea of the craft was to build a little Spongebob out of the sugariest ingredients known to man. I used a graham cracker for the body, white frosting (with a few drops of yellow food coloring) for the color, 2 massive marshmallows for the eyes, red vines licorice for the mouth and arms, and m&m's as the pupils and porous holes (and lets face it, it could use more sugar).
This is the one I made
     I was pretty nervous about my craft before I handed out the supplies to my group of eager sugary Spongebob enthusiasts. I didn't know if it was going to resemble anything once we were done, but the kids quickly got underway crafting their creations. I was seriously impressed with a bunch of the Spongebobs I saw, some were even better then mine! Once the kids were done with their craft, they scarfed it down and went ballistic from the sugar (which was fine by me cause I just got off the clock). In the end, I think my craft was a success, I got complements out the wazoo from the kids, and even one from another staff member. Now I have to try to top this for my next planning week.

No comments:

Post a Comment