Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 301: Fix A Broken iPod With Rice

     I pulled a no-no the other day and forgot to take out my iPod out of the pocket of my pants when I was doing laundry. The pod got soaked (and cleaned) and now it refuses to play my favorite tunes. A co-worker recommended that I try the ol rice-pod trick. It's where you throw your water-logged electronic in a bowl of rice for a solid day or so. The rice should absorb any excess moisture and the device should work like before. Before the rice remedy, my pod showed no signs of life, so I wasn't very hopeful. I tried this, and tried turning it on at the end of the day. Although the screen wouldn't work or even light up, I could hear a familiar song blasting out of the ear buds that were connected to it. I remember being more surprised than relived simply because I did not see this method actually working. Unfortunately, my relief was short lived. I quickly found out that the device would't respond to any of the buttons that I'd mash. I couldn't change the song or even change the volume. The iPod was seizuring. So it looks like I'm in the market for a new iPod. I was later told that the method probably would have worked if I didn't try to turn it on before I tried the rice remedy. I most likely fried the thing the second I pushed the play button, so it was doomed from the start. Looks like this is one of the more expensive life lessons I've learned; check your pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment