Friday, November 11, 2011

Day 311: Become A Lender- KIVA

Lets make her day

     I'd like to consider myself to me a good person, or at least, I like to think that I attempt to be one. But we all know that's not exactly true. I drove a car (that pollutes our air) to a store (that stocks it's shelf's with merchandise that was produced by an underprivileged-underpaid-borderline-enslaved-worker) to buy candy (that, for absolutely no reason, should be in any person's diet) simply because I had nothing better to do today. I've been thinking a lot lately about how privileged my life is, despite how undeserving I am. I can't help but think that there's been a mistake in fate somewhere. Why do I have it so good? I could go on like this for hours. (Thankfully) Instead of indulging in a mental self-hate rant, I decided to do something about it. With the help of a non-profit organization known as kiva, and Mr. John Green, I decided to get into the loan game. Kiva is an organization that allows people to loan out money to small-scale business owners and entrepreneurs around the world. It's like donating money to help a small business (that's usually) in another country, except you get your money back. So I guess it's more fitting to call it "free donating", what's not to love? The return rate for all of Kiva's loans is 98.90%. that's seriously insane. I decided that I  would loan a modest 25$ to Miss Danelia Justina Hernandez Valesquez (what a mouthful) from Leon, Nicaragua. She runs a local bookstore and is looking for some extra money to help order more books, pencils, notebooks, and other necessities. She only needs 100$ more to reach her loan goal, so it'd be really super fantastic if you clicked here to read her story and donated whatever you felt comfortable with (and remember, your gonna get this money back). I may not be the most generous person, but I'm trying.

1 comment:

  1. You know kyle, even if you don't get your money back you get it
    back in good karma

    ReplyDelete