Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 305: Play Mental Games

     I was touring the Expedition Health exhibit of the museum with my mom and brother when we came across the mind game. It was a long table with a small ball in the center. The ball was covered by a long cylindrical plastic case that ran parallel with the table.  There were two chairs at both ends of the table and two black headbands that sat on top of each chair. The headbands had small silver detectors on the inside of it and was connected to the table with a long wire. The point of the game was to relax you mind to a deeper state than your competitor's. The ball was attracted to the side of the table that was expelling more brain activity. There was a screen above the table that showed each contestant's brain waves so the spectators could see the play by play. If the ball rolled all the way to your side of the table you lost, a mental tug-o-war of sorts. Sean and I sat across from each other and buckled our headbands before starting. At the start, it seemed like we were going to have a stalemate, the ball wasn't budging. But then Sean started to take the lead as the ball began rolling towards me. I didn't want to go down without a fight, so I acted quickly and threw my beanie at his face, which sent the ball hurdling in his direction. But the ball slowed down and stopped before reaching the end. Sean slowly rolled the ball back my way, and without another beanie to throw, I was doomed. He eventually made it all the way across the table and won. I gotta give it to him, he's good at not thinking. He's been not thinking for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment