Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 174: Become A Salesman

"Would you care to take 5% off today's purchase and everything else you buy with us with a Target Redcard?"
 "Are you using your Target Redcard to pay for today's purchase?"
"Are you aware of the benefits of our Target Redcard?"


     I probably ask these questions about a gazillion times a day to the guests that come into my work (Target). See, I'm a cashier and one of my responsibilities is to pressure guests into signing up for a Target debit or credit card. As a cashier, I am expected to get about 2-3 Redcards a week. If you go a week without getting a Redcard then I've been told that your in whats called, the Red-zone (clever eh?). This girl was telling me about the red-zone and how its not good and all. What she told me got me a little nervous cause I've been working there for a little over a month now, and I haven't gotten a single Redcard. I've tried and I've asked, but nobody wants one of these things...well, except for this one lady. I was checking out the last of the guests before we closed the store. There was probably 3 minutes left when a middle aged woman who was purchasing a good deal of merchandise came to my lane. I can't remember what her total was, but it was high enough for me to ask if she wanted to save 5% with a Redcard.  She said "Yes" and I said "Really?" I didn't really know what to do, I had never had someone say "yes" to such a question before. I did what I saw other cashiers do when a guest actually said "yes". I grabbed the pamphlet and followed the long boring instructions, plugged in her info and successfully signed her up for a Redcard. We were only there for like 10 minutes after the store closed and my supervisor was pretty siked cause that last Redcard had met our minimum requirement for the day. It was a good feeling, It was like I had finally proved myself at work. So I guess I'm out of the red-zone for this week, but next week is approaching fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment