Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 195: Massage

     I knew full and well at the beginning of this project, that I would be getting myself in some strange situations. So far, I've been welcoming to the idea of out-there challenges for me to try. Not only do they make for great blogging material, but I am often surprised to find that some of these far-fetched challenges may turn out to be enjoyable. So, When Mouse told me that his on-and-off girlfriend's brother needed two willing participants to act as test dummies so he could practice for his exam for massage school, I immediately volunteered the both of us. I had never had a massage before (although I planned to) and I especially had never had a massage from a man before (and I hadn't planned to) but I couldn't pass up the experience. So Mouse and I met up with Edward  and his sister at Mouse's apartment. Edward is a massage therapist in training and needed to work out the kinks in his massage routine. He was a bigger guy, and had a serious sort of demeanor. I never would have pictured him to be the kind of guy that was into massages, but I try not to be so judgy about what people are into. Edward had a giant suitcase that folded out into a massage table and he began to prepare the area soon after shaking hands. He waited till he was finished with his preparations to inform us that this would be a nude massage. Mouse and I were both a little uneasy about the idea, I mean, I didn't start the day off expecting to be massaged by a large man, in a one bedroom apartment, in the nude, while both Mouse and his off-and-sometimes-on girlfriend were in my company. I'm still trying that whole have-an-open-mind thing, but this was still real weird. the massage itself was about as weird as you might assume. I was lying on the table with a thin bed sheet covering my package (ha yup), while Edward worked away. I had Mouse play skate videos in the background to help me relax (and it actually worked). Edward was thorough to say the least, he started from the neck and back, then he moved to the arms and lower back, and then "Hey!" I squealed as he got to the butt cheeks. It was way too weird, but we powered through it and he continued to legs and feet. From there I was told to flip over onto my back. Edward then fastened the bed sheet kind of like a diaper around me to keep me from feeling as naked as I really was. Then he massaged more muscle and loosened up some joints. After he was done with his practice he had me critic his performance. Sadly, I had no idea what a good massage was supposed to feel like (because I'd never had one), so I couldn't say much. Mouse and I did find that we were both incredibly relaxed and limber for the remainder of the day. As far as that whole I'm "welcoming to the idea of out-there challenges for me to try" thing, I still think that its true, but I don't know if I'll be getting another massage anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment