Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 183: Light Off Fireworks (Illegally)

     It's almost Independence Day here in the United States and I wanted to go the patriotic route by purchasing illegal fireworks and annoying the hell out of my neighbors with them. Although I have deep routed fondness with fire and explosives, I had never bought or even lit a firework before. I've tried those little sparklers before, but that's for babies, and this project is not about babies. So I, along with David and Mouse, commuted North towards the promise land of all things pyrotechnic; Wyoming.

Once we passed that state line, we stopped at a little yellow shack on the side of the road that advertised their extensive artillery. Inside the walls were stocked with everything from simple bottle rockets and black cats, to the more heavy duty stuff like M-80's and things that looked just like sticks of dynamite (it was all just cheap things that went boom!). David and I proceeded to act like kids in an explosives store, picking up all the essentials. I bought a pack of bottle rockets, a couple of fountains and what looked like one of those cartoon dynamite sticks that would read "Acme" on the side.

We drove to Alan's house back in Colorado to launch our patriotic party pistols. We started off modestly, shooting off only a couple of random bottle rockets. But it didn't take long before we slowly upgraded to the fountains and then again to the dynamite stick (which turned out to be totally lame). Then Alan went into his house to fetch his arsenal. It was a large black trash bag that was completely packed with very illegal and very explosive merchandise. He had the the loud stuff, the bright stuff, and he had a whole heap-load of the heavy duty stuff. He began to launch those bad boys and we stood in awe at our own personal firework show. We finished off that late night by lighting bottle rockets from our shoes (I only caught fire once!) It was a great time, and I hope that I have more times like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment